“Accounting is the language of business.”
Warren Buffett

Accounting provides the information necessary to determine and evaluate the present and projected economic activities of organizations. It includes financial services to individuals, business entities, not-for-profit organizations, and government at all levels.

CPA Examination

Requirements for the CPA certificate in New York State include passing the CPA examination as well as appropriate public accounting experience. The B.S.(Accounting) degree offered at Hunter College fulfills the educational requirements needed for admission to the CPA examination in New York State. The Professional Studies component consists of 64 credits selected from six prescribed categories, including 31 credits of prescribed accounting courses. In addition, there is an Allied Requirement consisting of an additional 3 – 15 credits depending on the student’s background. No minor is required for the degree.

Economics Majors

Economics majors often take accounting courses. Their choice may range from one to several to even the entire series of accounting courses. (For students admitted beginning in Fall 2006, accounting and business law courses cannot be credited toward the economics major.) This is of particular interest to students specializing in corporate or public finance, banking or investments, and business or personnel management.

Majors in Other Departments or Disciplines

Many students majoring in disciplines other than economics or accounting (e.g, art, music, history, political science, english, computer science) quite often wish to take accounting as an element of a general education. These students are usually advised to take only the introductory year of accounting (ACC 271/ACC 272 ). Thereafter they may select additional courses to acquire a deeper understanding of accounting as an instrument of business communication and reporting. Indeed some may even complete the entire series of accounting courses so as to develop a technical competence in the subject. For non-majors, the accounting course credits are usually applied as the minor towards the B.A. degree or as electives.

When to Elect the First Accounting Course

To assure completion of the B.S.(Accounting) degree program within four years, a fulltime student should begin the accounting course sequence in the upper freshman semester, if at all possible; but no later than the lower sophomore semester. A student, who after completing ACC 271, decides not to pursue a B.S.(Accounting) degree is thus still in a position to sample other alternatives for the major.