ACADEMIC ADVISING FOR
Kevin Sachs, Ph.D.
Room 1548 HW
*SPRING 2017 ADVISING HOURS*
Mondays: 1:15 PM – 3:15 PM
Tuesdays: 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Welcome to Academic Advising for Undergraduate Accounting Majors. I look forward to serving you this semester and throughout the duration of your Accounting studies at Hunter!
SOME IMPORTANT RULES AND GUIDELINES:
• This service is for undergraduate accounting majors (declared or intended) and those with issues about accounting classes only. NO EXCEPTIONS!
MS Accounting students should consult with Professor Toshi Mitsudome in Room 1520 HW.
Accounting students interested in internships should see the internship advisor, Professor Vivette Ancona in Room 1539 HW.
• Advising services for B.S. students in Accounting are offered IN PERSON, DURING POSTED ADVISING HOURS ONLY.
THERE IS NO EMAIL OR TELEPHONE ADVISING.
Advising services are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. That means there can be a long line and a lengthy wait before you are seen. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by these policies.
• Students coming for academic advising services should have their EMPL ID NUMBERS available when they arrive.
• To see the official requirements of the B.S. program in Accounting, please see Hunter’s on line catalog at http://catalog.hunter.cuny.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=28&poid=5301&returnto=5888.
• All Accounting majors are required to take MATH 150 (Calculus and Analytic Geometry). The prerequisites for MATH 150 are MATH 101 (College Algebra) and MATH 125 (Precalculus). Please see an adviser in the Math Department (9th floor HE) to be evaluated with respect to where to begin your Math sequence.
To see the Calculus requirement, please visit the online catalog at http://catalog.hunter.cuny.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=28&poid=5301&returnto=5888, and see the section, “Allied Required Course”.
• Accounting majors who declared their major prior to fall 2016* are required to maintain a major GPA of at least 2.0 (C). This GPA is for ACC 271, ACC 272, ACC 371, ACC 372, ACC 373, ACC 374, ACC 471, ACC 472, ACC 473, and ACC 475. If you repeat courses, all attempted grades (except “F”s) count towards this GPA. F grades count until a course is repeated and passed. (*Declaration of the major is determined by the first semester the Accounting major is shown on your official transcript)
• Accounting majors who declared their major in fall 2016* or later are required to maintain a major GPA of at least 2.3 (C+). This GPA is for ACC 271, ACC 272, ACC 371, ACC 372, ACC 373, ACC 374, ACC 471, ACC 472, ACC 473, ACC 475 and ACC 490. If you repeat courses, all attempted grades (except “F”s) count towards this GPA. F grades count until a course is repeated and passed. (*Declaration of the major is determined by the first semester the Accounting major is shown on your official transcript)
• Accounting majors who declared their major in fall 2016* or later are subject to the following new rule: Students who receive a grade of “D” or lower in any of the eleven required Accounting courses in the Professional Studies Requirement will be allowed to repeat the course only once. In total, students may repeat no more than three Accounting courses for which they received a grade of “D” or lower. Students who exceed this allowed number of course repeats will be dismissed from the BS program in Accounting. Students who declared their Accounting major before fall 2016* will not be subject to this new rule. However for these students, we will be less inclined to approve course repeats when these limits have been exceeded. (*Declaration of the major is determined by the first semester the Accounting major is shown on your official transcript)
• All courses which are prerequisites to required major courses MUST be passed with a grade of C or better before you may progress to the next course in the sequence and in order to graduate. The courses for which you must earn a grade of C or better are ACC 271, ACC 272, ACC 371, ACC 372, ACC 373, ACC 471 (if taken before ACC 475), MATH 101, MATH 125, ACC 280, ECO 200, and ECO 221 (or STAT 213).
• The Accounting course sequence begins with ACC 271, ACC 272, and ACC 371. These three courses must be taken in sequence, one course at a time. Thus, it will take you three semesters to complete these three courses. No other Accounting courses may be taken until all three of these are completed with a grade of C or better.
Once you have passed ACC 271, ACC 272 and ACC 371 with a grade of C or better, you may then take ACC 372, ACC 373 and ACC 374. Once you have passed ACC 372 with a grade of C or better, in addition to ACC 373 and ACC 374 you may also take ACC 471, ACC 472, ACC 475 (ACC 471 is a co-requisite to this course) and ACC 490 (ACC 471 and ACC 475 are co-requisites). Once you pass ACC 373 with a grade of C or better, you may then take ACC 473.
Under certain circumstances, the Department may grant permission to take ACC 473 with or before you take ACC 373. The department will decide whether to grant such permission based on your academic performance in Accounting classes previously taken at Hunter. No exceptions will be made to this rule.
• REGARDING OVER-TALLIES: No permissions will be given to enroll in closed sections.
Exceptions: To receive permission to enroll in a closed class section, three conditions must be present. First, you must be a graduating senior, graduating in the CURRENT semester. Second, the course must be a requirement for graduation. Third, there must be no open sections available for the course.
ALL THREE CONDITIONS MUST BE PRESENT BEFORE WE WILL GRANT AN OVER-TALLY.
• Please note: the following courses do NOT count towards the Accounting major: ECO 100, ECO 233, ECO 295XX (including ECO 29560 – Entrepreneurship), ECO 296, ACC 225, and ACC 230
• For students needing advisement services regarding the Hunter Core, Hunter’s General Education Requirement (GER), or foreign language requirements, please see Student Services (1119 Hunter East).
Or email them at: AdvisingServices@hunter.cuny.edu
• Students declaring their Accounting major or minor, or who want to repeat courses should download the forms and, to the best of your ability, complete the form before coming to advising.
All degree audit applications are now done on line. There are no more DAAF forms. To learn about the new procedures for applying for graduation, please go to http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/onestop/forms-online/undergraduate-students. Please note, even under the new degree audit application system, all degree applicants will be instructed to see me to go over your major requirements before you will be approved.
Here are some useful URLs for downloading the forms:
For Course Repeat forms (for repeating courses where you previously earned a passing grade (D or better)):
To declare your Accounting Major:
To declare your Accounting Minor:
If you are a transfer student from another CUNY school, and want to know whether or how certain courses transfer credits to Hunter, please visit https://TIPPS.CUNY.edu.
NEW: Special instructions to declare your major: To declare your accounting major, please complete the following steps:
1) Go to the Registrar (217 N) and obtain a major declaration form.
2) Fill out the form to the best of your ability. That includes signing and dating the bottom and also the info required along the side of the page.
3) Bring your completed form to the Economics Dept. office (1524 W) and drop it off.
4) Come back a week later to pick up the form which, by then, I will have signed and stamped.
5) Bring the signed and stamped form back to the Registrar.
I look forward to the opportunity to help you navigate your Hunter Accounting Education Experience!
Kevin Sachs, Ph.D.
Lecturer – Doctoral Schedule in Accounting and Academic Adviser – B.S. Program in Accounting