ACADEMIC ADVISING FOR
Dr. Kevin Sachs — Room 1548 HW
*ADVISING HOURS FOR FALL 2015*
Tuesday, September 8: 5:00 – 7:00 PM
Thursday, September 10: 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Thursday, September 17, 1:30 – 3:30 PM
Monday, September 21: 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Starting Monday, September 28, fall semester advising hours are:
Mondays, 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM
Tuesdays, 5:00 – 7:00 PM
Welcome to Academic Advising for Undergraduate Accounting Majors. I look forward to serving you this semester and throughout your Accounting studies at Hunter!
SOME IMPORTANT RULES AND GUIDELINES:
- This service is for undergraduate accounting majors (declared or intended) and those with issues about accounting classes only. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Economics majors or students with issues regarding economics classes must consult with Professor Matthew Baker in room 1532 HW.
- MS Accounting students should consult with Professor Toshi Mitsudome in Room 1520 HW.
- Accounting students interested in internships should see the internship advisor, Vivette Ancona in Room 1539 HW.
- Advising services are offered IN PERSON, DURING POSTED ADVISING HOURS ONLY.
- THERE IS NO EMAIL OR TELEPHONE ADVISING.
- Advising services are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. That means there can be a long line and a lengthy wait before you are seen. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by these policies.
- Students coming for academic advising services should have their EMPL ID NUMBERS available when they arrive.
- To see the official requirements of the B.S. program in Accounting, please see Hunter’s on line catalog at http://catalog.hunter.cuny.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=25&poid=4268&returnto=3875
- All Accounting majors are required to take MTH 150 (Calculus). The prerequisites for MTH 150 are MTH 101 and MTH 125. Please see an adviser in the Math Department (9th floor HE) to be evaluated with respect to where to begin your Math sequence.
- Accounting majors are required to maintain a major GPA of at least 2.0 (C). This GPA is for ACC 271, ACC 272, ACC 371, ACC 372, ACC 373, ACC 374, ACC 471, ACC 472, ACC 473, and ACC 475. If you repeat courses, all attempted grades (except “F”s) count towards this GPA.
- All Accounting courses which are prerequisites to other courses MUST be passed with a grade of C or better before you may progress to the next course in the sequence.
- The Accounting course sequence begins with ACC 271, ACC 272, ACC 371 and ACC 372. These four courses must be taken in sequence, one course at a time. Thus, it will take you four semesters to complete these four courses. No other Accounting courses may be taken until all four of these are completed with a grade of C or better.
- Under certain circumstances, the Department may grant permission to take ACC 373 or ACC 374 with only ACC 271, 272, and 371, but before you take ACC 372. To qualify for this special Departmental permission, you must have earned at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA among ACC 271, ACC 272, and ACC 371. This GPA must have been earned in Hunter College courses. No exceptions will be made to this rule.
- Similarly, under certain circumstances, the Department may grant permission to take ACC 473 with or before you take ACC 373. Again, to qualify for this special Departmental permission, you must have earned at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA among ACC 271, ACC 272, ACC 371, ACC 372 and ACC 374, 471, 472 and 475, if you’ve already taken them. This GPA must have been earned in Hunter College courses. No exceptions will be made to this rule.
- REGARDING OVER-TALLIES: In general, no permissions will be given to enroll in closed sections. Exceptions: To receive permission to enroll in a closed class section, four conditions must be present. First, you must be a graduating senior, graduating in the CURRENT semester. Second, there must be no open sections available for the course. Third, the course must be a required course. Fourth, the section instructor must let me know in writing that she or he is willing to accept another student. ALL FOUR CONDITIONS MUST BE PRESENT BEFORE WE WILL GRANT AN OVER-TALLY.
- For students needing advisement services regarding either the Hunter Core or Hunter’s General Education Requirement (GER), please see Student Services (1119 Hunter East). http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/advisingAdvisingServices@hunter.cuny.edu
• Students declaring their Accounting major or minor, who want to repeat courses, or who want to submit their Degree Audit Application Form (DAAF), should download the forms and, to the best of your ability, complete the form before coming to advising.
Here are some useful URLs for downloading the forms:
For the Accounting DAAF form:
For Course Repeat forms (for repeating courses where you previously earned a passing grade (D or better)): http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/onestop/repository/files/registrar/Course%20Repeat%20Form_012913.pdf
To declare your Accounting Major:
To declare your Accounting Minor:
• If you are a transfer student from another CUNY school, and want to know whether or how certain courses transfer credits to Hunter, please visit https://TIPPS.CUNY.edu.
I look forward to the opportunity to help you navigate your Hunter Accounting Education Experience!
Kevin Sachs, Ph.D.
Lecturer – Doctoral Schedule in Accounting and Academic Adviser – B.S. Program in Accounting